Damian (I) Lewis filmography and biography
Date of birth: 11 February 1971, St. John's Wood, London, England, UK
Damian (I) Lewis biography
Damian Lewis was born on February 11, 1971, in St. John's Wood, London, England. He was raised by his parents, Watcyn and Charlotte Lewis, on Abbey Road in London until the age of 8 with his siblings Gareth, William, and Amanda. In 1979, he was sent to Ashdown House boarding school, then was educated at Eton College. At age 16, he formed his own theater company, then worked in South London, then traveled around Africa. From 1990 to 1993, he studied at Guildhall School of Music and Drama, alongside Daniel Craig (I) and Joseph Fiennes. Among his teachers was RSC stalwart Colin McCormack (I). Lewis graduated in 1993, and worked on the stage, particularly with the Royal Shakespeare Company. There he was seen by director Steven Spielberg, who subsequently cast him as Richard Winters in the HBO/BBC miniseries Band of Brothers, for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe, among other awards. Lewis continues his career in films, TV, and theater.
Damian (I) Lewis trivia
- His castmates in Band of Brothers were initially sceptical of how well he could handle playing an American. It turned out that he was so convincing (as an American) that some cast and crew didn't believe he was British!
- Graduated from Guildhall School of Music and Drama in 1993.
- Before his recent big screen appearances, Lewis was a stage actor for the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- Was offered a role in Black Hawk Down, but turned it down for The Forsyte Saga.
- Plays the guitar and the piano/keyboard.
- Reunited with fellow Band of Brothers actors in Dreamcatcher (Donnie Wahlberg, "2nd Lt. C. Carwood Lipton") and in Colditz (2005) (TV) (Tom Hardy (I) "PFC John Janovec").
- Attended the "School of Kings", Eton, Berkshire and was 2 years behind The Wire's Dominic West.
- Engaged to actress Helen McCrory in February 2006.
- Father of Manon McCrory-Lewis, born on September 8, 2006, at 4:20 PM GMT. Mother is Helen McCrory.
- Has competed twice in the Northern Rock All Star Cup, a golf tournament that pits celebrities from Europe against those of America. Lewis faced against such celebs as Meatloaf and Alice Cooper.
- Son, Gulliver Lewis, born 2 November 2007.
- Playing the main character Charlie Crews, was reunited with fellow Band of Brothers star Michael Cudlitz (I) who guest starred in a couple of episodes of TV show Life (2007/I) as the character Mark Rawls.
- Director Gareth Lewis (IV) is his brother. Gareth directed Damian in The Baker.
Damian (I) Lewis quotes
- If one of your fantasies is lying on a bed in Hollywood, surrounded by eight naked women, then another is to have a beautiful wife and a nice rambling house in London with three kids running around... perhaps it's good to have a bit of tension in your fantasy life.