Taylor Lautner filmography and biography
Date of birth: 11 February 1992, Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Taylor Lautner biography
Taylor Daniel Lautner was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan to parents,
Deborah and Daniel Lautner. He, and younger sister Makena, were raised
in a well-mannered, Roman Catholic household in Hudsonville, Michigan.
At the age of six, Taylor began studying martial arts at Fabiano's
Karate School and he, along with his family, quickly noticed his unique
and natural talent for the sport. He was soon invited to train with
seven-time world karate champion Michael Chaturantabut (aka Mike Chat)
and, at the age of eight, he was asked to represent his country in the
twelve years and under division in the World Karate Association where
he became the Junior World Forms and Weapons champion, winning three
gold medals. In 2003, Taylor continued to flourish in the martial arts
circuit where he ranked number one in the world for NASKA's Black Belt
Open Forms, Musical Weapons, Traditional Weapons and Traditional Forms
and, at the age of twelve, he became the three time Junior World
However, in addition to his love for martial arts, Taylor quickly developed a love for acting at the age of seven years old when his martial arts instructor, who was involved in show business, encouraged him to audition for a small appearance in a Burger King commercial. Although he was unsuccessful, he enjoyed the experience so much that he told his parents that he wanted to pursue a career in acting. Soon, he and his family were traveling back-and-forth from their home in Michigan to California so Taylor could audition for acting roles on a regular basis. When Taylor was ten, with the frequent traveling and air fares starting to become overwhelming, his family made the crucial decision to relocate to Los Angeles where Taylor would have the advantage of being able to audition for films, television, and commercials full-time.
Once Taylor moved with his family to Los Angeles, he found himself landing more and more small acting roles. He booked many occurring roles on various television shows such as My Wife and Kids, Summerland, and The Bernie Mac Show. Taylor also found himself becoming successful in films as well. In 2005, he landed the role of Sharkboy in the family blockbuster flick, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D, and the role of Eliot Murtaugh in Cheaper by the Dozen 2. However, it would be one single role that would ultimately change Taylor's life forever. In 2008, Taylor auditioned for the iconic role of werewolf hunk Jacob Black in the record smashing, blockbuster hit Twilight (2008/I). With the sudden and unexpected success of the film, Taylor, along with fellow cast members Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart (I), found himself being propelled into a world that would forever change his life and his career.
Taylor has continued to portray Jacob Black in the following film adaptations of the The Twilight Saga as well as branch out into other roles and films such as the star studded romantic comedy, Valentines Day, and the action-packed thriller, Abduction. Taylor Lautner has quickly become one of the most famous, talented, and successful young Hollywood actors thanks to the blockbuster success of the Twilight (2008/I) films. It has quickly been established by this young man's diverse and gifted talent that we will continue to be his audience for many years to come.
Taylor Lautner trivia
- Taylor is a keen martial artist who, from the age of seven, has won many karate tournaments on a local, national and international level.
- He is a big sports fan and his favorite sport is football. He is big fan of the University of Texas Longhorns, the University of Michigan Wolverines and professional NFL athletes, Brett Favre, Tom Brady (III), and Jerry Rice.
- Has a younger sister named Makena.
- Has a Maltese named Roxy.
- Received his driver license in 2008.
- Played football during his freshman and sophomore year of high school.
- Had to start training the day after Twilight (2008/I) was finished for his role of Jacob Black in New Moon, whose transformation had to be drastic. He gained approximately 30 lbs. for the part, as promised to the director.
- Became close friends with Twilight (2008/I) co-star, Edi Gathegi, when they began exercising in the gym together after filming the movie.
- Close friends with Twilight (2008/I) co-stars, Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart (I), and Nikki Reed (I).
- Was ranked #1 in Access Hollywood's "Top Five Hollywood Abs" (2008).
- Named one of People Magazine's 100 Most Beautiful People 2009.
- Is of German, French, Dutch, and Native American (specifically Ottawa and Potawatomi) descent.
- Likes the band Kings of Leon.
- Named Hollywood's highest paid teen actor (2010).
- His favorite actors include Tom Cruise, Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, and Matt Damon.
- His last name "Lautner" is of German origin.
- He went to Jamestown Elementary School in Hudsonville, Michigan until he was eleven years old.
- His father, Daniel, is an airline pilot and his mother, Deborah, works for a software development company.
- Participated in the 2010 Celebrity Beach Bowl.
- Was originally cast in Northern Lights, but dropped out due to commitments to Abduction.
- Good friends with Dakota Fanning and Victoria Justice, Gishel Rafael , and Alyson Stoner.
- Some of his favorite films include Gladiator, Braveheart, and The Dark Knight.
- Became one of the youngest celebrity hosts in the history of Saturday Night Live when he hosted the show for the first time on December 12, 2009.
- Ex-boyfriend of Taylor Swift [January 2010].
- Was ranked #3 on Men's Health Magazine's Top 10 Best Summer Bodies (2010).
- Was ranked #2 on E!'s "Hottest Men of 2010".
- Was ranked #4 on People Magazine's 50 Most Amazing Bodies (2010).
- Was ranked #2 on Glamour Magazine's 50 Sexiest Men of 2010.
- Created and sponsored a hand made "New Moon Team Jacob" messenger bag for The Children's Place and Books for Kids Foundation, with all the proceeds going to build libraries, donate books, and partner with literacy programs .
Taylor Lautner quotes
- [About the Twilight (2008/I) phenomenon] It's really unlike anything else. I know that over the past couple of years, I've had the time of my life and I'm very thankful, but it is different. It's almost like you live two different worlds and you completely vanish and then you go back to your regular life.
- I hope that I would be considered romantic. I don't know...one of my favorite movies is The Notebook so I guess that would be considered romantic. But I think being romantic is more than the flowers and the gifts. It's about connecting with the person and being able to talk and share things with her.
- [About presenting at the Oscars for the first time] I was freaking! It's probably the most nervous I've ever been. Just standing up on that stage and looking down at the people that you've watched your entire life. It was crazy...I wouldn't let myself lock eyes with any one person because I would have just stopped talking. If I would have locked eyes with Leo (Leonardo DiCaprio) or George Clooney or someone I would not have been able to speak so I was trying to avoid that.
- [About his new found fame and avoiding the paparazzi] Yeah, you definitely use a lot of back-entrances and exits, but I think for the most part we (meaning his fellow Twilight (2008/I) cast members, Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart (I)) just go along for the ride. We're the same people that we were before and we have people behind us that kind of help us and think ahead and we're just thankful to have that help...When we walk through hotels, we always walk through the kitchen or through the garbage room or the laundry room. It's that not glamorous, trust me.
- [About hosting Saturday Night Live for the first time] They tell you beforehand that "the cast is great, your not going to be nervous, your just going to have fun" and I was like "yeah, okay" and don't get me wrong I had a lot of fun, but I was nervous. When I got the offer for it, I was like "Listen guys it's such an honor, but I don't sing, I don't dance, and I don't do accents and that's pretty much what SNL is" so I was really nervous, but it was a lot of fun.
- A dream acting role would be Matt Damon in the Bourne series. I would love to do something like that!
- [About working with several directors yet the same character for The Twilight Saga] The opportunity to work with a character for years is phenomenal because usually you work with a character for two or three months and your done, you say goodbye and then you look back on it and your like "aaaahhh man, I wish I would have done this". But with this franchise, we're able to change things up and work with the character more and having the opportunity to work with different directors for each one gives us a new perspective on the character. And even though we've been playing these characters for a while, they bring something new every single time so I love the opportunity to work with a different director for each film.
- [About his favorite quote from 'Twilight'] It's not in the first book, but the quote I love the most is Jacob's quote, "Does my being half-naked bother you?" That quote just cracks me up. Because he's always half-naked throughout the series, it's just a good way to rock the fact that he's always shirtless.
- [About school life] I was never extremely confident. Because I was an actor when I was in school, there was a little bullying going on.