Peter (I) Fonda filmography and biography
Date of birth: 23 February 1940, New York City, New York, USA
Peter (I) Fonda trivia
- Accidently shot himself in the stomach when he was 10.
- Son of Henry Fonda.
- Father of Bridget Fonda and Justin Fonda.
- Uncle of Troy Garity and Vanessa Vadim.
- Born at 12:09pm-EST.
- Younger brother of actress Jane Fonda.
- Educated at the University of Omaha.
- He joined the Omaha Playhouse and appeared in their production of "Harvey." Then, he went to New York and became an apprentice at the Cecilwood Theatre. A year later, he was on Broadway in "Blood, Sweat and Stanley Poole." Next, he went to Hollywood to test for the role of John Kennedy (I) in PT 109.
- John Lennon (I) wrote "She Said, She Said" about an acid trip he'd been on during which Fonda kept telling him, "I know what it's like to be dead, man".
- Broke his back twice in motorcycle accidents.
- Was arrested once for defacing a sign at a Denver airport that said, "Feed Jane Fonda to the Whales".
- Ex-brother-in-law of Tom Hayden (I), Ted Turner (I) and Roger Vadim.
- Smoked marijuana on-camera in the film Easy Rider.
- At age 6, broke his back while attending boarding school.
- Brother of Frances (Pan) Brokaw and Amy Fonda.
- His father-in-law was Noah Dietrich, Howard Hughes (I)'s confidant for over thirty years.
- Turned down the role of Oliver in Love Story, despite being offered 10% of the gross.
- Stepson of Shirlee Fonda.
- He was a mentor at the 2nd annual HatcH audiovisual festival in Bozeman, MT. HatcH is a film and arts festival that focuses on mentoring and inspiring student, independent, and up-and-coming filmmakers and artists. He also attended to present the Spirit of Montana HatcH award to Johnny Depp, who was unable to attend. Fonda was the 2004 recipient of the award, which celebrates actors and filmmakers who have mentored and inspired young and aspiring artists and actors.
- Father-in-law of composer Danny Elfman.
- Godfather of his daughter Bridget Fonda is Larry Hagman.
- 2000: Inducted into the AMA Motorcycle Hall Of Fame.
- According to a story in the book version of The Beatles Anthology, John Lennon (I) wrote the song "She Said, She Said" after meeting Peter at a party and listening to him go on and on about his near-death experience in which he accidentally shot himself in the chest. The song lyric "I know what it's like to be dead" is supposedly what Peter kept telling everyone. John says he altered the song title and lyrics from "He Said" to "She Said" in order to hide the fact that he'd based the song on Peter.
Peter (I) Fonda quotes
- I dig my father. I wish he could open his eyes and dig me.
- [on why he prefers to be addressed as "Peter"] Whenever I hear "Mr. Fonda", I look over at the door, figuring he's come back.
- [about sister Jane Fonda retiring from acting] I think it's great. Now she can just be Jane.
- Civilization has always been a bust.
- [On the death of Easy Rider co-star Dennis Hopper] Dennis changed the way movies were made in Hollywood. I was blessed by his passion and friendship.