Gabourey Sidibe filmography and biography
Date of birth: 6 May 1983, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA
Gabourey Sidibe biography
Gabourey "Gabby" Sidibe, the star of
Precious (Base on Nol by Saf), is a native of the Bedford
Stuyvesant community in Brooklyn, New York. Her mother is a former
special education teacher who gave up her career and became a street
performer while her father is a Senegalese cab driver. Her parents
split when she was a youngster and Gabby grew up in Harlem. Though she
was cast in school plays as a child, Sidibe had no interest in acting.
She had witnessed her mother's financial struggles as a street singer
and wanted the security that an education and a desk job would give
her. After attending local colleges, Gabby pursued a degree in
psychology at Mercy College. She was in the middle of preparing for an
exam when a friend phoned her about an audition for the newest effort
from Lee Daniels (I),
Precious (Base on Nol by Saf).
Instead of attending class, she ended up being cast in the title role as Claireece "Precious" Jones, a taciturn, sixteen year-old who is pregnant for the second time after being raped by her father and is also on the receiving end of constant physical abuse by her mother. As grim as the subject matter is, Precious (Base on Nol by Saf) has become critical success and a source of inspiration for many. While her co-stars, 'MoNique and Mariah Carey have both received a great deal of critical attention, it is Gabby who is the revelation as Precious, a character whose personality is quite different from her own. Anyone expecting a damaged young woman with no self-esteem is in for a shock after meeting the charming Sidibe. She hopes that her success in the film will motivate others to chase their dreams.
Precious (Base on Nol by Saf) has opened other doors for Sidibe. She has also completed shooting Yelling to the Sky, a project from the Sundance Lab that also stars 'Zoe Kravitz' and has other projects in the works.
Gabourey Sidibe trivia
- Has been a fan of the singing group 'N Sync since she was a teen and has attended 23 of their concerts.
- Studied psychology at Mercy College, New York City.
- Attended The City College of New York whose alumni include Edward G. Robinson (I) Woody Allen, Ira Gershwin, Paddy Chayefsky, Stanley Kubrick (I), Eli Wallach among many others.
- Attended the Borough of Manhattan Community College whose most famous alumnus is Queen Latifah.
- Daughter of Alice Tan Ridley.
- She and Adam Scarimbolo just signed with manager Jill Kaplan at Principal Entertainment.
- Parents split when she was younger.
- Her father is from Senegal.
- Is one of eight African-American actresses to be nominated for the Best Actress Oscar. The others in chronological order are: Dorothy Dandridge, Diana Ross (I), Cicely Tyson, Diahann Carroll, Whoopi Goldberg, Angela Bassett and Halle Berry.
Gabourey Sidibe quotes
- I learned to love myself, because I sleep with myself every night and I wake up with myself every morning, and if I don't like myself, there's no reason to even live the life. I love the way I look. I'm fine with it. And if my body changes, I'll be fine with that.
- I don't know what it's like to be Precious, but--you know what?--she's not an alien to me. Not because she's a big girl. I've had to deal with difficult things in my life because of how I look. I have been made fun of for my dark skin by my older brother - he has lighter skin. In school the lighter-skinned or pretty girls would make fun of me. I don't know what it's like here or other places, but in the US it's definitely a big deal. Darker-skinned people sit at the back of the church, you know?