Beau (I) Bridges filmography and biography
Date of birth: 9 December 1941, Hollywood, California, USA
Beau (I) Bridges biography
Beau Bridges is the son of actor Lloyd Bridges and his wife, who
was his college sweetheart, Dorothy Dean Bridges. Born just two
days after the attack on Pearl Harbour, he was delivered by candlelight
because of a power blackout. Named Lloyd Vernet Bridges III, his
parents immediately started calling him Beau after Ashley Wilkes' son
in Gone with the Wind, a book they were reading at the
time. His younger brother, actor Jeff Bridges (I), was born in
1949 and a sister, Cindy Bridges, the following year.
Although only 5'10", Beau played basketball for UCLA his freshman year. The following year he transferred to the University of Hawaii, but dropped out to pursue acting and got his first major role in 1967. During his first marriage to Julie Landifield, they adopted Casey Bridges and then had Jordan Bridges. He and his second wife, Wendy Treece Bridges, have three children from this marriage: Dylan Bridges (born 1985); Emily Bridges, (born 1987) and Ezekiel Jeffry Bridges.
Beau likes to play guitar and collects Native American percussion instruments. He also loves the ocean, including swimming and surfing. He is also active in environmental causes and handgun control.
Beau (I) Bridges trivia
- Son of Lloyd Bridges and Dorothy Dean Bridges.
- Older brother of Jeff Bridges (I) and Cindy Bridges.
- Father of Casey Bridges (adopted, born March 16, 1969) and Jordan Bridges (born November 13, 1973) with Julie Bridges and Dylan Bridges (born October 25, 1984), Emily Bridges (born July 2, 1986) and Jeffery Bridges (born September 24, 1993) with Wendy Treece.
- Starred with father Lloyd Bridges and son Dylan Bridges in Showtime's The Outer Limits on 22 March 1995.
- Especially active as president of an environmental group Ventura Coast Keeper in native California. Is pushing state to buy and preserve 265 acres of wetlands near Oxnard now sought by mammoth Occidental Petroleum Corp.
- 7 April 2003: Received star on Hollywood Walk of Fame, next to the stars of younger brother Jeff Bridges (I) and father Lloyd Bridges.
- Another brother, Garrett Myles Bridges was born on June 14, 1948 but died of SIDS less than two months later on August 3, 1948.
- He was a very promising basketball player in his youth, and was scouted by quite a few NBA teams.
- He was born one day before his Village of the Giants co-star Tommy Kirk.
- Enlisted in the US Coast Guard in 1959, and also served for eight years in the Coast Guard Reserve.
- Brother-in-law of Susan Bridges (II). Uncle of Isabelle Bridges, Jessica Lily Bridges and Haley Roselouise Bridges.