Maria (I) Bello filmography and biography
Date of birth: 18 April 1967, Norristown, Pennsylvania, USA
Maria (I) Bello biography
Maria Bello was born on 18 April, 1967 in Norristown, Pennsylvania. She went to Villanova University, majoring in political science. She had every intention of becoming a lawyer, but she took an acting class during her senior year, just for fun. She discovered she was very good at it, and she was soon cast in small off-Broadway plays, such as "The Killer Inside Me", "Small Town Gals With Big Problems" and "Urban Planning". She later guest-starred on episodes of The Commish, Nowhere Man, Misery Loves Company and Due South. She got her big break when producers Kenny Lenhart and John J. Sakmar cast her in the spy show Mr. amp; Mrs. Smith as "Mrs. Smith" (they remembered her from her performance in a failed pilot that was a remake of the classic TV series 77 Sunset Strip). The show was canceled after eight weeks on the air. Then came a spot on ER as "Dr. Anna Del Amico", in which she guest-starred on the final three episodes of the third season. The show's producers were so impressed with her that they asked her back as a regular on the series.
Maria (I) Bello trivia
- Practices Muay Thai (lethal) kickboxing.
- Comes from a Polish and Italian Family.
- (5 March 2001) Maria and her TV exec boyfriend, Dan McDermott (II), welcomed their first child, Jackson Blue McDermott.
- Was a bridesmaid at Andrea Bendewald's wedding, the same one in which Jennifer Aniston was the matron of honor.
- Became good friends with Mariska Hargitay when Hargitay had a recurring role as Cynthia Hooper on ER from 1997-1998.
- Best friends with Carrie-Anne Moss (I). Maria is the godmother of Carrie-Anne's first son, and Carrie-Anne is the godmother of Maria's son Jack.
- Was a varsity cheerleader in school at Archbishop John Carroll High School in Suburban Philadelphia.
- Invited to join AMPAS in 2006.
- Father, Joe, was a contractor and mother, Kathy, was a teacher and school nurse.
- Works with "Save the Children", nurturing kids in need.
- Her mother, who is a cancer survivor, was in New York City with Maria on Sept. 11, 2001 during the attacks on the World Trade Center. Since her mother was a nurse, she volunteered to help the victims.
- Has two brothers, Joseph and Christopher, and one sister, Lisa.
- Has 2 dogs.
- Flirted with a waiter at a family birthday party. The waiter became her fiance [July 26, 2008].
- Had always wanted to be an action heroine, but gave up her dream two weeks before she turned 40, because she thought there would be no action roles for a lady her age. However, Rob Cohen (I) called her up on her birthday and offered her the role in The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.
- Her greatest memory from the set of The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor was being in the desert playing football with 15 stunt men dressed as mummies.
Maria (I) Bello quotes
- "I don't think you understand what levels or what fears until you have a child of your own.Â I mean, I've never loved someone so much and I've never been so afraid in my life.Â And the truth is I would kill someone, whoever tried to hurt him.Â I would.Â I have no doubt about it."
- "I think I take a film because I'm in the process of discovering something about myself."
- So many actors say you have to find something you like in each character. I've never bought that. I think there are people in the world who are plain mean. Not many, but some.