Jeremy Sumpter filmography and biography
Date of birth: 5 February 1989, Monterey, California, USA
Jeremy Sumpter biography
Jeremy Robert Myron Sumpter was born in Monterey, California, on
February 5, 1989, but was raised in Mount Sterling, Kentucky. At a
young age, he enjoyed mountain climbing and play with his friends like
any other normal kid, but when he went to Lexington, Kentucky, to
model, he won the pre-teen of the year award and met his manager Mark
Robert. Soon after that, Jeremy, his twin sister
Jessica Sumpter, his little sister Gigi Sumpter, and his
mom and dad moved to Los Angeles, California. He started filming
Local Boys and Just a Dream afterward. But
it was his next movie, Frailty, in which he played young
Adam Meeks, opposite Bill Paxton and Matthew McConaughey,
that really got him noticed. In 2003, he was cast his biggest film yet,
as the title character in Peter Pan, which came to
theaters on Christmas Day. This was followed by the short-lived TV
Jeremy Sumpter was born in northern California but grew up in a small
town in Kentucky where his family had moved when he was very young.
When he was eleven, Jeremy entered a talent competition, winning
numerous awards. He signed with a personal manager and moved to Los
Angeles in 2000.
After a few months in Los Angeles and a few auditions, Jeremy booked the role of "Young Adam Meiks" in "Frailty," a feature film directed by Bill Paxton. "Bill had been one of my favorite actors so to be able to work with him was unbelievable," says Jeremy. The adult "Adam Meiks" was played by Matthew McConaughey.
Next, Jeremy was chosen by Danny Glover to play Henry Sturbuck in the Showtime original film Just A Dream. "Working with Danny was great, we had a great time filming in a small town in Utah," explains Jeremy. Jeremy received the "Best Performance in a TV Movie, Mini-Series or Special - Leading Young Actor" from the Young Artist Awards.
Jeremy was able to use his surfing skills on his next film, "Local Boys." This coming of age film was shot on location in southern California. "This was a hard film to shoot since we were surfing at the beach almost everyday and there were all these girls around in bikinis," jokes Jeremy.
After a worldwide search, Jeremy was chosen to play "Peter" in the P.J. Hogan version of Peter Pan. This was one of the most coveted roles in films for a teen actor in recent years. "It was a part that I really wanted," says Jeremy, "since I'd be able to fight pirates and fly around the stage on wires." Jeremy trained extensively in sword fighting and gymnastics prior to shooting the movie in Australia.
Clubhouse was Jeremy's first television series, a dream role since he had always loved baseball and played little league when he was younger.
Jeremy was cast in the role of Justin in Cyber Seduction: His Secret Life. After wrapping, he immediately went on to star in The Sasquatch Dumpling Gang in Oregon. A lot of the people from Napoleon Dynamite were involved in the film and it was a lot of fun for him to shoot. Jeremy shot "Calvin Marshall" in late 2007 in Oregon. He recently completed, "You're So Cupid" and will begin working on "Death and Cremation."
Jeremy is always looking to play a wide variety of characters and is reading several feature film scripts. In the future, Jeremy hopes to also work behind the camera as a director and producer. In his spare time he surfs, plays basketball, football, golf and shoots pool.
Jeremy Sumpter trivia
- At age six, Jeremy was the youngest child in Kentucky to be accepted into the state's Gifted Arts program
- Auditioned for the role of Bobby Garfield in Hearts in Atlantis
- Has a twin named Jessica Sumpter and a younger sister, Gigi Sumpter.
- Raised in Kentucky until he was 11
- Was named IMTA's Pre-Teen Male Model of the Year in 2000
- His younger sister appeared with him in his ER episode.
- His favorite book is "The Giver".
- His favorites foods are spaghetti and chili
- He has a dog named Bear.
- During the filming of Peter Pan, he grew 8 inches (from 5' to 5' 8") and the size of the window had to be enlarged 4 times to enable him to "fly" into the house without bumping his head. The boy who "never grew up" did so in reality.
- Resides in Los Angeles, California 
- Brother of actress Gigi Sumpter
- He stated at the end of Peter Pan that he did 98% of the stunts shown in the movie. He said he was unable to do "like two or three of them because they were too dangerous".
- Can be seen on the DVD of Peter Pan, saying he is spoofing Moulin Rouge! as he sits on a swing singing.
- In 11th grade his favorite subject is history and his least favorite is math
- Currently, his top sports are surfing, swimming, golf, and basketball. He also enjoys football, baseball, snowboarding, tennis, soccer, hiking, and roller blading.
- Has one brother who is in college named Travis
- Is friends with Anna Popplewell. Her brother Freddie Popplewell was in _Peter Pan_ (2003) with Jeremy.
- Stays in contact with his Peter Pan co-star Harry Eden.
- Is good friends with his _Peter Pan (2003)_ co-star Rachel Hurd-Wood.
- Was the director of Photography for the short film "The Binge" which was directed by his father, Gary Sumpter.
- Still friends with Sarah Christine Pletcher from The Sasquatch Gang.
- Loves the song and music video La La Land by Demi Lovato.
- Good friends with Selena Gomez.
Jeremy Sumpter quotes
- "As I was growing up Peter Pan was one of my favorite characters."
- On the experience of filming Peter Pan: "When we were filming, I thought that I was Peter Pan, you know? I thought I was the coolest kid in the world, so I wound up being the coolest kid in the world".
- On how his life has been after Peter Pan: "It's awesome. I get recognized a lot by girls now. It's great. I was wanting that for a long time and now I finally have it; and it's great....It's different hearing girls I don't even know scream my name."
- [About Clubhouse] "It's really a dream role. I've always loved baseball and played little league when I was younger. I really wasn't going to do television, but I thought this project was special and it also came about in a funny way".
- On Peter Pan co-star Rachel Hurd-Wood: "She was great. I thought she was going to be one of those girlie-girls, you know. She turned out to be different and we were boyfriend and girlfriend".
Jeremy Sumpter filmography
|The Sons of Summer||2011|
|Drones, Clones and Pheromones||2010|
|You're So Cupid!||2010|
|Death and Cremation||2010|
|An American Crime||2007|
|The Sasquatch Gang||2006|
|Friday Night Lights||2006|
|Happy Birthday, Peter Pan||2005|
|Cyber Seduction: His Secret Life||2005|
|ITV Special: Peter Pan||2003|
|BBC Special: Peter Pan||2003|
|The Sharon Osbourne Show||2003|
|The Making of 'Frailty'||2002|
|Just a Dream||2002|
|Eigo de shabera-night||2001|
|Good Day Live||2001|
|E! News Daily||1996|