Michael (I) Shanks filmography and biography
Date of birth: 15 December 1970, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Michael (I) Shanks trivia
- Lived with Vaitiare Bandera
- Daughter, Tatiana (born late 1998) with Vaitiare Bandera.
- Bears an uncanny resemblance to his Stargate feature film counterpart James Spader, whose character, Dr. Daniel Jackson, he portrays on Stargate SG-1.
- Favorite hockey team is the Vancouver Canucks.
- He was born in Vancouver and grew up in Kamloops, BC, Canada.
- His best friend is Stargate SG-1 co-star Christopher Judge.
- Played hockey (defense) and rugby (flyhalf then wing) in high school.
- Vaitiare Bandera, the mother of his child, played his character's wife on Stargate SG-1.
- Was inspired to pursue an acting career while watching future Stargate SG-1 co-star Richard Dean Anderson film an episode of MacGyver.
- Daughter, Mia Tabitha Shanks, with Lexa Doig, born 13 September 2004.
- Played three different characters in a single episode of Stargate SG-1: Dr. Daniel Jackson, Thor and Penegal in the second half of the Season Eight premiere 'New Order Part II'.
- Has appeared in four different productions with the late Don S. Davis (I): A Family Divided (1995) (TV), Stargate SG-1, The Artists Circle and Suspicious River.
- His character, Remiel, killed Hector, played by Christopher Judge, in the Andromeda episode "Day of Judgement, Day of Wrath". In the Stargate SG-1 episode "Moebius Part 2", his character, Dr. Daniel Jackson, was killed by Judge's character, Teal'c.
- Met his wife, Lexa Doig when he guest starred in the Andromeda Season One episode "Star-Crossed".
- His character, Dr. Daniel Jackson (and various versions of him), was killed in four different episodes during the eighth season of Stargate SG-1 alone: "Avatar", "Reckoning Part 2" and "Moebius Part 2", He was also shot several times, severely injured and tortured during the season.
- Appeared with Torri Higginson in Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis who co-starred with his wife Lexa Doig in TekWar (1994) (TV), _"TekWar" (1994)_, TekWar: TekLords (1994) (TV) and Jungleground.
- Wife Lexa Doig gave birth to their second child together, a son named Samuel David on March 19, 2006. Michael announced it at a Vancouver Convention on March 25th.
- Had an emergency appendectomy when his appendix ruptured the day before filming was to begin on Stargate SG-1 Season 3 episode "Nemesis". The script had to be rewritten to explain his character's reduced role. The writers decided to have the character recovering from an appendectomy as well.
- Coincidentally enough, there is another Michael Shanks (no relation) who is a real life archaeologist, while Michael Shanks the actor portrays an archaeologist on the television show Stargate SG-1.
- Grew up as a huge Star Wars and Star Trek fan. Michael was also a fan of the cult television series, Xena: Warrior Princess.
- His Stargate SG-1 character Daniel Jackson is close to six years older than he actually is.
- Auditioned for the part of Praetor Shinzon in Star Trek: Nemesis.
- He has played the same character, Dr. Daniel Jackson, in three different television series: Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Atlantis and SGU Stargate Universe.
Michael (I) Shanks quotes
- [about his character Daniel's relationship with his love interest Janet began] "There seems to be this funny beat that they seemed to have this off-camera familiarity with each other. So we started playing with it. And it became an ongoing thread throughout the show. So whenever we did a scene together, we'd throw in an extra look or an extra glance. I'll let you guys fill in the blank of where it went from there."